George was awarded his PhD in Chemistry in 2005 from the University of Wollongong, Australia. Following his PhD, George took on several positions working on a broad range of topics:
- Mar 2006 – Nov 2007, Associate Research Fellow in Dye-Sensitised Solar Cells, Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science, University of Wollongong, Australia.
- Dec 2007 – Nov 2008, Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Molecular Electronics, Department of Photochemistry and Molecular Science, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Dec 2008 – Jun 2012, Research Fellow in Solid Oxide Electrolysis Cells, School of Chemistry, University of St Andrews, United Kingdom.
- Jul 2012 – Jun 2014, Research Scientist in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, Laboratory for High Performance Ceramics, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology, Switzerland.
- Jul 2014 – Sep 2015, Research Fellow in Alkaline Fuel Cells, Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science, University of Wollongong, Australia.
George then spent 2.5 years between Oct 2015 – Mar 2018 working in industry as a Research & Development Engineer in Alkaline Electrolysis Cells at AquaHydrex Pty Ltd, Australia.
In Sep 2018 George returned to academic research as a Research Fellow at the Australian National University, where he is carrying out research into biomimetic, bubble-free electrolysis as part of a project funded by the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA).
- Materials Science
- Energy Conversion & Storage
- low-cost, high efficiency, bubble-free alkaline electrolysis cells
- tailoring the defect chemistry of ceramic perovskites for solid oxide electrolysis cells
- supercapacitors based on high surface area metal carbonates/oxides/hydroxides
- using electronic structure measured at a synchrotron light source to explain material properties
- molecular electronics
- photoelectrochemical cells
Yu, Z., Chen, Y., Cheng, Z., Tsekouras, G., Li, X., Wang, X., Kong, X., Dou, S., Enzyme-catalysed room temperature and atmospheric pressure synthesis of metal carbonate hydroxides for energy storage, Nano Energy, 54 (2018) 200-208.
Tiwari, P., Tsekouras, G., Swiegers, G.F., Wallace, G.G., Gortex-Based Gas Diffusion Electrodes with Unprecedented Resistance to Flooding and Leaking, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10 (2018) 28176-28186.
Tsekouras, G., Bourdoire, F., Pal, B., Vondracek, M., Prince, K.C., Sarma, D.D., and Braun, A., Electronic structure origin of conductivity and oxygen reduction activity changes in low-level Cr-substituted (La,Sr)MnO3, Journal of Chemical Physics, 143 (2015) 114705.
Tsekouras, G., and Braun, A., Conductivity and oxygen reduction activity changes in lanthanum strontium manganite upon low-level chromium substitution, Solid State Ionics, 266 (2014) 19–24.
Tsekouras, G., Neagu, D. and Irvine, J.T.S., Step-change in high temperature steam electrolysis performance of perovskite oxide cathodes with exsolution of B-site dopants, Energy & Environmental Science, 6 (2013) 256-266.
Neagu, D., Tsekouras, G., Miller, D.N., Menard, H., and Irvine, J.T.S., In situ growth of nanoparticles through control of non-stoichiometry, Nature Chemistry, 5 (2013) 916-923.
Stefan, E., Tsekouras, G., and Irvine, J.T.S., Development and performance of MnFeCrO4-based electrodes for solid oxide fuel cells, Advanced Energy Materials, 3 (2013) 1454-1462.
Tsekouras, G. and Irvine, J.T.S., The role of defect chemistry in strontium titanates utilised for high temperature steam electrolysis, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21 (2011) 9367-9376.
Tsekouras, G., Johansson, O. and Lomoth, R., A surface-attached Ru complex operating as a rapid bistable molecular switch, Chemical Communications, (2009) 3425–3427.
Mozer, A.J., Griffith, M.J., Tsekouras, G., Wagner, P., Wallace, G.G., Mori, S., Sunahara, K., Miyashita, M., Earles, J.C., Gordon, K.C., Du, L., Katoh, R., Furube, A., and Officer, D.L., Zn-Zn porphyrin dimer-sensitized solar cells: toward 3-D light harvesting, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 131 (2009) 15621–15623.
Tsekouras, G., Minder, N., Figgemeier, E., Johansson, O. and Lomoth, R., A bistable electrochromic material based on a hysteretic molecular switch immobilized on nanoparticulate metal oxide, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 18 (2008) 5824–5829.
Tsekouras, G., Mozer, A.J. and Wallace, G.G., Enhanced performance of dye sensitized solar cells utilizing platinum electrodeposit counter electrodes, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155 (7) (2008) K124-K128.